Topband: PJ2T

Rick Darwicki n6pe at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 5 13:58:27 EST 2005

I was beginning to wonder if So Cal was in a propagation hole or if 400-600 miles really makes a difference.  I've noticed guys in northern California hearing/working guys I don't hear.

Last night I heard a CA station about 500 miles north of me calling PJ2T.  I couldn't hear him. After about 5 mins the PJ2 came up out of the noise and actually got quite loud. All the time I could hear him, the CA station wasn't calling him, but some 5s were. When he dropped back into my noise the CA station started calling him again.

160 seems as weird as 10 meters. In the Washington State QSO party on 10 meters I point my beam east to work them guys north of me, otherwise I can't hear them. Ahhhh for a 160 quad.

160 has all the fun of QRP, Oscar, EME and mental telepathy built into one. I think I'll work on my antenna today.

Rick N6PE