Topband: High and low angles

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Mar 5 20:28:46 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
To: "Earl W Cunningham" <k6se at juno.com>
Cc: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: High and low angles

> I have a very low horizon (maybe 1 or 2 degrees) but
> K6SE/lake nearly always beats me 1 on 1 in a pileup,
> with my 90 ft vertical.  I am 300 miles north of the lake.
>
> Rick N6RK

Not very scientific, but when I was operating portable during the
CQ 160 CW contest looking across about 15 miles of saltwater
to the west, I was finally able to hear the "ZL/DIGI" signal on
1818.5 that everyone but me always seems to hear. It was in
fact quite loud at the saltwater QTH. Also at my home QTH, I
usually just hear a faint heterodyne on 2310 KHz from the Alice
Springs BC station. At the saltwater QTH, the Alice Springs
BC station was S9+10 dB and armchair copy even on AM.
The antenna was a 45 ft top loaded vertical with 25 100ft
radials placed about 100ft from the waters edge. I think
conditions were good that weekend, but still I was impressed
by how loud signals form the west were coming in.