Topband: Elevated vs Buried Radials analyzed

DAVID CUTHBERT DAVIDNNAN at MSN.COM
Sun Mar 6 09:45:38 EST 2005

Larry,

I have analyzed the gull wing versus the level radial question using NEC-2. NEC-2 shows essentially no difference- the gull wing configuration has 0.05 dB more gain. Slightly lower ground losses with the radials at 10' combined with a slightly lower radiation resistance don't yield any improvement. Of course NEC-2 doesn't have absolute accuracy with this model. However, I suspect (I have no "hard" evidence) that for a comparison of these two very similar antennas the conclusion that there is no noticeable difference is valid.

Original question:
Rather in line with a question that was asked earlier, I'm trying to figure
out if I would gain anything by shortening the vertical so the base would be
at the same level as the  elevated radials, to eliminate the gull wing
effect.

   Dave WX7G