Topband: Better low band conditions?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Wed Mar 16 00:07:52 EST 2005

Robert Tellefsen wrote:

>I'm still trying to figure out whether the anticipated improvement
>in low band conditions will be due to improved propagation, or just
>the appearance of same due to more stations being crowded down
>into the lower bands. Bob N6WG

Bob,

They without any doubt in my mind getting better and better.  This
weekday (non-contest) evening I worked a pile up of  DX stations calling
me for several hours (included a 4X4 and the majority Eastern European
stations)  and they are still calling as I am typing. Many of these
stations are not the usual big guns but  the 100 watt Marconi or
inverted L types. Layer after layer calling me with many received
reports of 599.  I even worked SV5/DJ7RJ and V51LK. VK6HD has been
working or hearing me for the past three days at sunrise and KL7J was in
here like a east coast station this morning. Honestly in 50 years on the
band I have never seen anything quite like it and it appears to be
getting better!  IMHO this is a good time to be active on top band.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ