Topband: Better low band conditions?

Brian Campbell VY2MGY at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 16 23:35:52 EST 2005

I think everyone is right to some degree. There has been exceptional
openings here at times and then dismal or no openings at other times. I
agree with Tom that the VK/ZL openings have been very weak this season, in
fact the weakest consistantly since 1998, but on the other hand this is the
only season in 8 years that I have heard JA's  being above 219 and this is
the first season I have ever worked a JA from here.

A big factor seems to be the huge difference in received signals in such a
relatively short geographical span between stations. I worked the Pacific a
couple of weeks ago and he heard my 5 watts on the first call. He was
running 100 watts and was a 559 here. Yet in Ottawa [ about 300 miles East ]
he was uncopyable. The same thing happened here when a station only 20 miles
away was working Africa and gave him a 579 but I never even heard a single
dit - and apparently we had very similar antennas.... Spotlight gain for him
or spotlight null for me??

All I know for sure is that there is definitely more activity on the band
now than in the last few years.

And since our Topband DX'ing days [ or nights as the case may be ], like the
current solar cycle, are numbered, I'll enjoy the good as well as the bad.

73 Brian
VE3MGY