Topband: QRV with a ProAM 160m mobile whip!

Fred Wagner, KQ6Q fredhwagner at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 23:16:13 EST 2005

I'm new on 160m, using a Pro-Am 160M whip, magmounted on my 24x56 foot metal roof.. Sometimes the noise level is LOUD, sometimes just very loud. For household compatibility, I only use CW (soon PSK31). Most of you are working DX that I can't hear, but thanks to those who have come back to my calls -so far Bill  W7FW, Terry W7KW, and Jim N7JW. Your replies to my calls with my limited antenna (rig is an IC746Pro, first rig I've ever owned that covered 160m - the Noise Reduction feature is a big help on this band!) are as thrilling as my original 40m novice CW contacts back in 1957. Only 47 more states to go for WAS. My antenna is only useable from 1828 to 1832 for the moment, but I'll be calling CQ if I don't hear anybody else after a few minutes listening and tuning around.
Fred Wagner, KQ6Q
Cypress, CA