Topband: the amazing band

N1BUG paul at n1bug.net
Fri Mar 25 06:20:16 EST 2005

It has been a great weak for this little station.  Earlier
this week I managed to snag VQ9LA on a truly remarkable SS
peak.  8R1RPN, certainly not rare, was nevertheless new for
me.  Then last night the band decided to be very kind...
FT5XO and 8Q7DV went in the log.  I better have a *big*
celebration today!

The only one I have struck out with is V7.  I heard them
once, rather weak.  Condx to VK/ZL have been very good the
last two mornings but no V7.  I guess they gave up on 160
after a couple days of poor condx??

A few comments on FT5XO last night.  First of all, great op!
It surprised me to hear them calling CQ for some time after
my QSO with no other NA callers.  I realize not much of NA
was in darkness at the time but thought there would be a
few... unless it was some sort of spotlight prop.  Also,
every other time I have heard them this week, either the S
or E Beverage was the only antenna they were audible on.
Last night was just the opposite: no trace of signal on
either Beverage but 559 for some time on the inverted V.
Either the signal was coming in high angle or directly from
the southeast (if the latter I would expect to still hear
something on one or the other Beverage, but, maybe not...).
While many NA seem to hear them better at SR, it has
clearly been a SS path for me so far (or shortly after SS
as was the case last night).

GL to all who still need some of this week's fine DX
offerings.  I won't be on tomorrow morning, so go get that
V7!   (Murphy's law clearly states he will be there.... :)

73,
Paul