Topband: FT5XO path shifting

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Mar 26 08:49:18 EST 2005

> Finally at 0050 the signal came up out of the noise and
stayed up, though QRN persisted. The path was now steady on
the 105-degree phased Beverage pair (broadside, spaced 400
ft) -- my closest RX antenna to their true 120-degree
heading. Got them in the log at 0104z (no. 286), signal 559
at that point. This stayed the best antenna as they built up
to 589 15 minutes later -- I had them on the speaker and
could hear as I walked around the house. Also good copy now
on the vertical array aimed SE.

...and at my location in Georgia they have never been
sufficiently out of the noise for a contact. The path is
mostly towards the east, but sometimes shifts southeast as
near as I can tell. The problem is QRN from storms in
Florida is making it difficult to get direction or to copy
them, but they are never strong.

73 Tom