Topband: 160 wire

DAVID CUTHBERT DAVIDNNAN at MSN.COM
Sat Mar 26 13:11:51 EST 2005

Tony,

the Wireman http://thewireman.com/index.shtml<http://thewireman.com/index.shtml> carries many types of antenna wire that are unusual. Part #532 looks like it might do the job. It is a coated, #18 AWG copper clad steel "Silky" wire that sells for $0.16/ft.

I ran some simulations of your antenna and the highest coaxial cable shield current I could obtain caused radiation that is 15 dB down from the dipole. I don't see any reason to add a balun to your antenna.

The stainless hardware sounds like a viable solution for your 80 meter band changing. Another solution might be to use SMB connectors to make the connection. They snap together, are gold plated, and the shield connection is what you want to connect your wire to. Another solution is to use high voltage vacuum relays. Then you can switch from the shack. If you are interested I will give you part numbers of suitable parts available at Digikey or Newark Electronics. I can run a simulation to see what the potential difference is that must be disconnected.

    Dave WX7G