Topband: FT5XO and 5Z4DZ last night

N1BUG paul at n1bug.net
Mon Mar 28 06:56:10 EST 2005

Congrats to all who got FT5XO in the log last night!

Propagation was very different from all other days so far
during the expedition.  My SS was 2259z.  FT5XO was already
solid copy at 2240 when I got in the shack.  There was the
typical well defined peak around my SS time.  I have been
seeing that all along.  What is unusual is what happened
after that.  For the first time the signal did not
completely disappear after the SS peak.  It dropped
considerably but remained good copy throughout the entire
common darkness window with another pronounced peak around
0120 to 0130z.  This is also the first time I have seen a
significant/usable peak as their SR approached.  I
calculate their sunrise as 0135.  They worked many NA but
more northerly stations were doing best -- either due to
lower QRN, better propagation, or both.

5Z4DZ was partial copy through heavy QRN around 0130z.  He
was weaker later and seemed to continually go down as his
SR approached.

73,
Paul