Topband: FT5XO in the SW USA

Steve London n2ic at arrl.net
Wed Mar 30 21:01:49 EST 2005

Here in the SW corner of New Mexico, not far from N5IA, I wish I could report
some measure of success.

I have listened on 80 and 160 every morning and evening except for last weekend,
when I was doing WPX Phone.  There is a few minutes of common darkness in the
evening, and we miss common darkness by only a few minutes in the morning.  With
my mediocre set of beverages, not even a whisper on 160.  On 80, there was about
a 2 minute window where they were Q5 one evening on SSB, about 10 minutes after
their sunrise.  Otherwise, on 80, just whispers at sunset, and never heard at
sunrise.  Most days at sunrise, they didn't seem to show on 80 until around
1345Z - that's just a little too late with sunrise at 1310Z.

Congrats to K7CA and N7JW !  That's really impressive !

Anyone in West Texas/New Mexico/Arizona have much luck on 80 or 160 ?

73,
Steve, N2IC/5