Topband: cone of silence COS

john battin jbattin at msn.com
Wed May 11 23:50:47 EDT 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: john<mailto:ldoyle at gwi.net>
  To: topband at contesting.com<mailto:topband at contesting.com>
  Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:25 AM
  Subject: Topband: cone of silence COS

  Hi.. has anyone got a handle on determining the length of a single wire beverage whereby the  length will be the correct length to be considered in the cone of silence length???just writing the the question is confusing..John K1GUN...

  I know there have been experiences to the contrary, but my experiments indicate that the cone of silence lengths are in actuality adjusting the spacing between the vertical feeds such that a null is created in a direction that is contributing significant noise. If the noise is coming equally from all directions, the noise contribution from the front of the antenna will mask pick-up from the feeds and there will be little or no difference at COS lengths.
  John K9DX