Topband: Beverages

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 09:10:30 EDT 2005

--- Tadeusz Raczek <sp7ht at wp.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Preparing for "retired man countryside QTH" I am
> trying to understand some
> topics related with Beverages.

Tadek,

Let me share my experience in this area. Last season I
needed several Beverages put up fast. Ignoring good
engineering and theory, I just did what was expedient.

Several wires were fanned out in about half of your
"star". The far ends were terminated with resistors in
the conventional manner. The feed ends were all
brought to a common point. The wires were supported
from a common tower with long rope on each wire. A
sloping downlead about 20 feet long was then brought
from the junction of each rope and wire to the common
point on the ground. A relay box with a single coax
connector for the feed line, a single ground
connection, a single transformer and enough SPST
realys to select the individual wires was placed on
the ground at this common point. Several ground rods
were used for the ground. Only the selected wire is
grounded through the transformer, other are open
circuited.

As each wire was strung out, I did performance
measurements as best I could. I saw no degradation at
all as each additional wire was placed in the system.

The Beverages themselves don't couple. You can see
this in close spaced staggered end-fire arrays. The
source of trouble is the vertical downleads and a
common ground. By eliminating parallel downleads and
ground connections on the unused wires, you can
minimize any coupling.

This worked out so well, I will probably dupilcate
most of it next winter again. Even so, I understand
that the ideal solution would be very different. You
must chose between engineering excellence and
practical results. I go with the lazy solution
usually!

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg