Topband: Not Boring Morning

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Nov 2 10:10:19 EST 2005

Turned on the radio and quickly found JT1CO CQing and he came right back.  A
clear sign the radar was off this AM?  This was at 1344z.

Tuned up to 1825.5 and heard VK9XG with a solid signal CQing.  He didn't say
up 1, so I called him simplex - but some JA told me up 1 (I assume it was a
JA as he was pretty weak).  Then, Charlie says "QRT QRT".  Lucky for me, while
I was stuck up 1, W7IUV called a few times simplex and Charlie must have
heard something and called a few more CQs.  I alternated between calling up
one and simplex and he finally came back to me simplex.  First he got the
N in my call, then the rest of it.  It took a good 90 seconds for him to get
my RST back to him - so you have to be prepared to hang in there until he
gets it.  QSB surfing for sure.  In the log at 1351z.

At the end, he sent a couple of 73s and even a dit-dit after my 73 to him.

Great way to start the day.  This makes 5 new ones during the past 10 days
which is stunning as that brings my worked total up to 195.  I have also
heard 5B and CX which haven't made it in the log yet.  CX isn't actually
a new one, but I never did get a card out of CX1NT from a QSO about 7
years ago.

BTW - if anyone needs Louisiana, look for me on Friday and perhaps Saturday
morning Europe time.  I'll be at W5WMU getting prepared for the SS contest
and will try to get on around sunset for an hour or two.  Look for me down
around 1816 khz.  I may be on the internet from there - but I am not sure.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR