Topband: recent band openings & distance to terminator

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Fri Nov 4 18:05:04 EST 2005

I've been interested in how early 160m opens for DX.  Here are some results for the last few
afternoons in which I've been able to get on the air early:

Oct 20:
    first QSO: SM6CMU
    time: 2055z
    distance to sunset termination: 1190 km
    time before local sunset: 1h 0m
    (The band was already open.)

Oct 21:
    first QSO: S58A
    time: 2045z
    distance to sunset terminator: 1350 km
    time before local sunset: 1h 9m

Nov 1:  I was late and the band was already wide open at 2111z.

Nov 3:
    first QSO: G4OBK
    time: 2013z
    distance to sunset terminator: 1540 km
    time before local sunset: 1h 23m
    (Phil reports that my signal was audible around 2005z but not copiable.  The terminator was 1680
km away at that point.)

I think distance to the terminator is a more appropriate metric than the oft-quoted "I worked him an
hour before sunset".  Depending on time of year and latitude, a terminator that is 1500 km away
could reach the station at widely different times:
    Sep 22 on the equator: 52 minutes.
    Dec 22 in London: 2 hours 28 minutes.  (The terminator is never more than 1770 km away, even at
noon.)

I'd like to encourage others to listen/call early -- perhaps beginning when the terminator is 2000
km away.  (So far I haven't heard of any DX contacts more than 2000 km into daylight.)

Perhaps, for the purpose of this exploration, we can define a "DX contact" as one with a station
more than 2500 km away; i.e., clearly more than a single E-hop.

Good luck!

73,
    -- Eric K3NA