Topband: Pennant "downtilt" for lower TOA?

W2pm@aol.com W2pm at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 20:05:27 EST 2005

Downtilting UHF antennas is a common practice in cellular but is the  concept
practical on topband with a Pennant?  I was converting a Flag to a  point fed
Pennant yesterday - installed on a hill with the high side being the
termination side and the lower side the feed - and direction of interest.   After I
rigged up the new configuration it was twilight and I noticed  performance was
far poorer - except on local sigs which were still quite good.  Generally the
locals are worse on the Flag/Pennants. This AM I went out and saw  that the
point of the Pennant was considerably pointing high and the long  pennant
triangle quite distorted.  I fixed it up but the point now faces a  bit downward
from the level horizontal plane. Performance appears back to normal  and I have a
lot less local crud noise.

The problem is these observations are without any controls and thus
anecdotal - even the crud noise may just be lower today..  But my Q is  given the
Pennant (and Flags) aren't ground dependent, is it possible to lower  the take of
angle by downtilting?

73 Pete, W2PM