Topband: Remote relay via single wire

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Nov 17 03:46:52 EST 2005

> > Can anyone comment on the advisability of powering-up a
remote  DC (24v)
> > relay - about 200 ft away with a single wire with the
other side  simply

> Don't they usually recommend AC, not DC, for that
application?

That's because you can get some "battery" voltage across the
earth path, plus a dc current can erode a ground rod quite a
bit faster.

With low power higher voltage relays it probably works fine
at dc. I probably wouldn't mix AC in with a signal ground in
a poor or marginal earth ground. That could induce AC cross
modulated hum from non-linear resistances.

73 Tom