Topband: Beverages

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 17 07:52:34 EST 2005

SM6CPY wrote:

 >I have tried beverages of different configuration

         Carl, you have not told us much about your
configuration.  What type of ground are you using
at each end?  My guess is that may be your problem.
What type of transformer and termination?  Have you
done a frequency sweep of impedance versus frequency?
What does that look like?  Are there other antennas
near the Beverages?

         I used Beverages over very poor dry soil in
Colorado for many years and they worked well.  Do
you remember our QSO skewed toward South America
with Au Kp = 8?  Beverages should work better over
poor conductivity soil.  I did try a wire under one
of mine in Colorado once but it did not help.

         Please be very specific in describing exactly
your construction and maybe some of us will spot the
problem causing yours not to work.  I have put up
Beverages in Colorado, HC8 and 3 different locations
here in NC and never had a problem with soils ranging
from very good to very poor.

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV (ex-W0ZV)