Topband: Update: RFI to DSL modem - A Cure that WORKS!

K1ZM@aol.com K1ZM at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 09:14:36 EST 2005

Hi Guys

I recently added DSL to my station in NY - and found some data interrupts
occurring.

I have solved the problem by putting ICE RFI filters on the telco line just
before it enters my DSL modem.

ICE makes two models of filters with RJ plugs on them - one is a 30DB model
and is TINY - about the size of a book of matches and is WHITE. The other is a
 50 or 70-DB model & is bigger - like the size of a pack of cigarettes or  so
and is BLACK in color.

One costs about $30 apiece and the other is more like $50 I think I recall
(the ICE website will tell you current pricing).  You can get these filters
from K1QX at RADIOWARE  (1 800 950 WARE) - as CRAIG CLARK has a distributor
arrangement with Mike at ICE - and Craig is familiar with these items.

Here's what you MAY find happens when you put them just ahead of your DSL
modem:

1) I tried one WHITE 30DB filter and I was not yet happy.
2)Then I tried one single BLACK 50-70DB filter and it was MUCH BETTER - in
fact zero dropping of DSL.
3) When I tried two BLACK filters BACK TO BACK in series, it caused my DSL
link to start to drop - so I backed off to a single BLACK filter.

I only cause a SLOWDOWN now when I xmit on one position on my 80M 4SQ (that
quadrant aims right at my modem!) - but all my other antennas on ALL bands do
not touch DSL anymore - so I would try the ICE 50-70DB filter.

Better yet - order both a 30DB and a 50SB model.  These are the BEST
telephone RFI filters I have EVER SEEN - I use them in all my neighbor's homes  when
they call me about telco RFI.

I put 'em on for FREE and when it solves the problem, I get a FRIENDLY
neighbor back again - and that is a GOOD INVESTMENT (to me anyday!)

Gl with this - it worked for me and may help you out too!

73 and CU in the CONTEST on 160M this weekend from VY2ZM.

Please give me a call if you are on the band - thanks!

 JEFF

_K1ZM at aol.com_ (mailto:K1ZM at aol.com)