Topband: Psychoacoustics

Lawrence Stoskopf stoskopf at tri.net
Wed Nov 23 21:40:13 EST 2005

This is a well researched science.  Utilized by those compressing data to
take out stuff that the normal ear can't hear anyway.  A loud noise will
block out anything shortly after.  Some tones mask others nearby, etc.  I
had dinner in Vienna with an expert on the subject:  he wondered why we
don't design receivers to take out what we can't process anyway so as to
decrease the load on the ear.  Yes we can filter from white noise or signals
of similar level closely spaced, but then it gets difficult.

Remember that NASA (was it a hoax) thing about taking out a wide swath of
speech as it wasn't important?

I gave a talk at CSVHF on weak signal enhancement with noise.  I'm no
expert, but this stuff is interesting.

N0UU