Topband: Boring Report

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sat Oct 15 13:58:09 EDT 2005

Another fantastic evening on the top band.  The opening made it to Finland
this time, with an early QSO with OH3XR just after my sunset.  Band seemed
to lose steam around 0500 however.  Nothing much from the UK, although
GM0GAV was coming through a little (weaker than a few nights ago).

At my sunrise, the ZL beacon was louder than I have heard it in a long time
and some CQing produced one answer - but I couldn't get the callsign.  I
could see their signal using the FFT program (Spectran) clearly.

I heard EA8ZS calling OZ1ABE and was glad he showed up later working guys.
He had a very nice signal - without the QSB.

So - this makes 4 nights in a row with at least one European QSO.  Activity
seems to be increasing each night.  I know KL7RA will have 160 antenna QRV
tonight from his new QTH - so there will be someone to keep NL7Z company
when the band isn't open.

OH3XR was worked at 0234 UTC - then I ate dinner and got back on the band
at 0337Z in time to work Vlad, UA3BS, quickly followed by LY3UM and SM5EDX.
HA8BE made it in the log at 0406, but I couldn't ever get HA5JI to be loud
enough on a QSB peak to call.  DF2PY, OH2BO and a couple more SMs were worked
from 0400 to 0430 and then the EA8ZS QSO at 0446.  By 0500Z, the band was
pretty poor - but some of the signals were still coming in weakly.

Most signals seemed to be better on my TX antenna than the beverage pointing
at 70 degrees.  This suggests they were coming in furthur north.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR