Topband: Asian Interference - YB5AQB (9V1GO)

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 07:20:11 EDT 2005

	Thought others might be interested in this.

				73,  Bill  W4ZV

I wrote:

 >          I am curious to know if you can hear this
 > interference?  From your post, I take it you do
 > not but only notice the lack of JA activity.  Just
 > curious to know if it affects only BY/BV/HL/VR2/JA
 > area or all of SE Asia.  Maybe they are beaming
 > East but it's surprising N7UA hears it and you do
 > not.

Bob replied:

Hi Bill,

I made a discovery recently about the interference that may shed some
light on it.  From YB5AQB, 30 miles south of Singapore, I hear in
rarely and then only on the TX antenna which led me to believe it was
coming from some direction other than north....my beverage direction.

Actually it IS coming from the north, but high angle and that's why
the beverage doesn't hear it...but the inverted L does.

Phased the beverage and the L with an MFJ 1026 and hey presto, null
to the northeast, 180 degree phase shift, much stronger, it is coming
from my NNE, or in toher words BY for sure.  It disappears at SR for
east-central China.

Then I came back to Jakarta from Batam yesterday (Sunday) and
listened to 160 at my Jakarta SS.  The noise was STRONG, and a mess
from 1810 to about 1830.  Up early this morning to check, and it
disappears at east-central BY sunrise....guilty ma' lordship, case
closed.  I think it is jamming, not OTHR as it is not pulsed like
OTHR.  The same happens on 80 and 40 and is so lound in Jakarta I
thought it was RFI from the new digital cable TV installation, until
I heard it on 160 from Batam.

Whoever in China that is doing it has a big equipment budget :-).

I have moved my CQ frequency to 1832.0 to get clear of the noise and
am on at my SS and SR each weekend from Batam YB5.  Hope to see you
on the chat site also my friend and also hope we can make a go of it
this season later on.

73

Bob

YB5AQB/9V1GO