Topband: "Phased Verticals with Continuous Phase Control"

Brian Moran brianmo at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 23:06:23 EDT 2005

I have the ARRL's Vertical Antenna Classics V3, and
there's an article entitled "Phased Verticals with
Continuous Phase Control" by KZ3K (Peter Anderson).

The article details the use of a frequency-appropriate
LC network to introduce phase shift between driven
vertical elements. Rather than being overly precise
about it, the article presents using such a network
for transmitting and receiving much as one would use
say the MFJ-1026 -- adjusting the phase shift network
for max or minimum signal.

Has anyone tried this as laid out in the article?

One thing that seems a little glossed over is that the
phase shift network is designed for 52 ohm inputs and
outputs, with antennas that are 'roughly equivalent
impedance'. Sounds like keywords for 'in theory', but
would appreciate anyone's comments, especially those
with practical experience with this.

Thanks! Brian N9ADG

PS A year or more ago I searched for Kz3k's email,
sent something off, but didn't hear anything back...