Topband: W8JI FT1000MP MKV Click Modification

john battin jbattin at msn.com
Sun Oct 23 08:32:38 EDT 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Tope<mailto:W4EF at dellroy.com>
  To: topband at contesting.com<mailto:topband at contesting.com>
  Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:40 AM
  Subject: Topband: W8JI FT1000MP MKV Click Modification

  P.S. I've checked Tom's instructions several times to make sure
  that I followed them correctly. I couldn't find any discrepancies
  between what I did to the radio and what he said to do in the
  instructions.

  Nice waveforms ... look normal
  You may be using full break-in, or delay timing too long that allows the RX to come alive between characters.  It is not unusual for the radio to have a "First dot" problem which may be also introduced during long spaces inside a word. More delay will make it a first dot problem only.
  For that, try running less ALC. Just enough to move the meter. That will help a lot .. the rest is caused by the rise of the first dot being controlled by the switching relay and not by the waveform circuits. (The relay is late and controls the leading edge). There is no fix for this except for keeping the vox hang time long do so it only happens on the first character of a transmission. Your linear may likely cause the same problem.
  John K9DX