Topband: W8JI FT1000MP MKV Click Modification

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Oct 23 21:40:33 EDT 2005

---- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger at bellsouth.net>

> There are some missing details in your description so I don't know
> your exact setup.
>
> If you are listening on another RX and putting the audio to a scope or
> a sound card and a scope program, do NOT use AGC on the listening
> device. Turn it off and reduce the manual gain so that the RX is
> running fixed RF gain.
>
> If you are looking at the output of an amplifier and using ALC to set
> the drive levels, then turn the ALC off. Reduce power manually to get
> proper drive levels. Using ALC with a low drive amp will produce the
> same affect as the AGC in a RX.

> If none of the above, remember that the MP uses some number of
> physical relays (vs pin diodes) in the transition from RX to TX.
>
> Use the menu setting 7-4 to introduce a delay of 4 or 5 ms (or more?)
> to delay the onset of CW until after the circuits complete state
> change.

The oscilloscope I used was measuring the RF envelope directly (I
had a cascade of high-power RF attenuators between the output
of the FT1K MKV and the oscilloscope input). The scope was being
triggered by output of the AEA Morsemaster keyer that I was using
to key the rig. I also listened to the FT1K MKV output on 2 different
receivers (TS950SDX and Omni 6+) using a step attenuator to knock
the signal down to a nominal RX level (~S9+20).

I was running the FT1K MKV barefoot at the full 200 watts (max
exciter output). BTW, there is no separate drive control on the MKV
as there is on the FT1000D - only a RF level control.

I haven't messed with the delay settings in the menus. What I did do,
was to manually close the T/R relay ahead of time using the "MOX"
switch. This made NO difference. The leading character still showed
a hard-edge even when I closed the relays ahead of time with the
"MOX" switch.

FWIW, I tested the TS-950SDX before I returned it to the local
club station where I operate. The TS-950SDX did NOT show any
edge change between mid-word characters and leading edge
characters. It did show an extra 9 millisecond delay on leading edge
characters as if the whole RF envelope was offset by 9
milliseconds relative to the key closure, but there was no discernable
modifications to the shape of the rising edge of the envelope. The rise
time on the TS-950SDX is relatively fast (~1.5ms), but the contour
of the rising edge is very smooth (like an S-curve) with no sharp
corners. When I have listened to it in the past on another receiver,
the keying on the TS-950SDX sounded a little on the hard side, but
the radio didn't click noticeably.

I play with the delay menu settings on the FT1K MKV to see if that
makes any difference.

Thanks and  73,

Mike, W4EF...........