Topband: Boring report - it's not dead yet -- nor in Delaware

Jon Zaimes AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 4 12:12:16 EDT 2006

On way home in the mobile around 05z I heard G3JMJ through the QRN and  caught a /7 several times so I guess it was George or Tree in there calling Don but those were the only signals on the band and it was very noisy as we had just had a major thunderstorm line move through a couple of hours earlier.

But by time I woke up at 10z the noise had subsided considerably, and DU9/N0NM was easy copy on 1828.2, QSX up 2. Jon was 559 for about 15 minutes but he couldn't copy me. He dropped down a bit but I was still copying OK and calling him till he went QRT at 1030z -- about 10 minutes before my sunrise. I was only copying Jon on the 935-ft long, 175-ft spaced broadside phased Beverages. Jon's sunset is about 0945z and I may have gotten out of bed just a bit too late to catch the peak.

Yesterday JA1HQT called in just before sunrise, peaking 579.

And of course VK3ZL and VK6HD come through just about every morning.

73/Jon AA1K