Topband: Radar last night?

Takeshi Yoshida ja3aaw at sannet.ne.jp
Wed Apr 5 11:50:00 EDT 2006

At 02:42 +0900, 2006/04/05, Tree N6TR/7 wrote:

>When I was working DF2PY and G3JMJ, I heard some really strange noise
>on the band.  I didn't report it at first, because I thought it might
>have been due to a new video card I installed on my computer - but
>Wolf, DF2PY, reported hearing a radar on the band at the same time.
>
>Either my video card is getting out really well, or it was something
>else.  This probably isn't the BY radar we have been talking about as
>I believe the sun wasn't anywhere near setting in BY at 0500z.
>
>It almost sounded like power line buzzz - but had a frequency component
>to it that seemed to repeat every kHz or so as you tuned through it.
>The noise blanker took some of it out.
>
>The signal didn't really peak up in any direction with my beverages,
>so this would appear to have been a rather high angle event.
>
>Did anyone else hear it?  Any ideas where it is coming from?  If it is
>on tonight, I'll make a .WAV file of it.

On JA7AO's BBS, JA7NI said at 09:40Z, April-05th;
"Though I was waiting for VE1ZZ today, it's impossible to hear him,
because the jamming signals just like last years' niose from BY has
been coming from 09:00Z and was 1660-1960khz wide with S9 over.
So I reported this thing to JARL."

Then, I watched 160M at 11:30Z and there was S9+20db between 1800-1870
and was S9 from 1700 to 1940kHz with my inv vee dipole at 30mtrs high.

It's TOO BAD, but I hope I could to get VU4AN on 160 later this month.

I did update these sound files of jamming signals at:
 http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/ja3aaw/sound/jamming_200604.htm