Topband: Grounded Tower

Earl W Cunningham k6se at juno.com
Thu Aug 3 18:36:20 EDT 2006

John, N9RF wrote:

"I have a 70' grounded tower with a Mosley Pro-67C on top. Many radials,
either on the ground or buried are impractical. I can however, install a
score or less on or in the ground, or I can install 1 to 4 elevated
radials.  What would be better, the N4KG setup of elevated radials,
direct feed, and decoupling underneath the radials, or, a shunt fed
system (and elevated radials)?"
----------
I would opt for a known performer -- the shunt-fed tower with in/on
ground radials.  Regardless of claims that 4 elevetaed radials
outperforms many on/in ground radials, the opposite has been proven by
field strength measurements.
==========

"Can either of these antennas be decoupled from a nearby (about 150')
receiving K9AY loop?"
It's possible that the directivity of the K9AY loop can be degraded by a
nearby resonant vertical.  You'll have to determine if this is the case
by comparing the K9AY's performance with the transmit vertical tuned and
detuned.  If the problem exists, it can be solved by using a T/R relay at
the feedpoint of the transmit vertical ti detune it while receiving and
restore the tuning while transmitting

73, de Earl, K6SE