Topband: Radials

ABowenN4OO abowen at nettally.com
Wed Aug 9 09:45:29 EDT 2006

I have installed a number of radial systems for myself and some local friends.

The north Florida grasses are a little different, being the type that
grows like a vine, setting down roots every few inches.
I first tried an edger, but the roots and vines, after being cut,
spring back to cover up the slot. Putting wire in the slot is
tedious. It would be nice to have one of those little trenchers used
by satellite installers, to cut a 1-2" trench. They are expensive.

My mower did not cut the grass particularly short, because it tends
to be somewhat spongy.

I have found that the best method requires 4 accessories as follows.

Make up 2 stake and line assemblies. One is the length of the radial,
say 130 ft (for 160). Exact length is not critical since wires on the
ground are nowhere near resonant. The other is a short one that fixes
the distance between ends of the radials. This distance should be not
more than .03 wavelength. Alternatively, you can arbitrarily say 50
or 60 radials and divide the circumference by that number.

The third tool is a "needle" made from aluminum rod and bent in a
slight bow. One end is rounded with a file (not sharpened) and the
other end has a hole to accept the radial wire. If you use large
wire, the needle will have to be a larger diameter. A longer needle
will be needed if you have bushes and other brush.

The 4th is hooks, made from scrap wire. I use old wire hangers or #17
galvanized fence wire. Cut a piece about 10" long, then bend a small
hook on one end. These hold the radial wire to the ground. Our soil
is sandy, hence the longer hook. Shorter hooks could be used in soil
that is more firm, such as clay.

Put one stake of the long line at the antenna base. Stretch out the
line and pull it tight and push in the second stake. This establishes
then length and line of the radial. I then take a string trimmer and
cut the grass and weeds down to dirt, as best you can along the
string line. Worry not, it will grow back.

Either precut the radial, or pull the wire off a spool (mine is
mounted in a little garden cart), up to the base of the vertical. I
put the end of the wire into the needle, and then push it under roots
and vines at 5-10 ft intervals all the way up to the base of the
vertical.Anchor the wire (use your own method). Go to the far end,
cut the wire (if using spooled wire) and then using a short piece of
wood dowel, push down on the end of the radial wire. I use a hammer.
This tightens up the radial wire. Then walk the line and put down
hooks where the wire has raised up. 4-8 hooks is typical.

Alternatively, the wire could be laid on the ground and held down
with hooks. More hooks would be needed.

Use the short line to measure where the end of your next radial will go.

As you progress, neighbors may ask about that spoke pattern on your
property. Make up a story about space aliens or satellite experiments.

I use smaller wire, #18-22 insulated copper, obtained usually at flea
markets or industrial closeouts. Plan ahead. Buy it when you see it,
not after you need it.

INK N4OO