Topband: Thoughts on making low resistance joints between aluminiumtubing sections?

Roger Graves rgraves at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 29 18:30:30 EDT 2006

Hello,
Here a few km from the Pacific, aluminum joints are a problem. My
KT34XA became junk after 8 years. It had been assembled with the
factory supplied anticorrosion paste, but most of those small
connections clamped with SS screws measured from hundreds of ohms to
infinity when I took it down. My KW transmit power certainly did not
clean the connections, On the east coast where I used to live, with
those frequent east winds off the ocean, aluminum TV antennas were
known to last only about 1 year, the 300 ohm copper twin lead would
not last much longer even with the plastic insulation.

I have replaced the KT34XA with home built yagis that have no small
joints, only conventional telescoping tubing. I used Noalox on all
the telescoping tubing, clamped and then painted over the joints and
clamps with liquid tape (liquid neoprene). We will see how this lasts.

73,
Rod VE7VV