Topband: ARRL 160M Contest

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Sun Dec 3 09:14:37 EST 2006

Milt wrote:

GM Ford and all the other diehards.

At 1341z N0UD called me from ND for state # 50.  WAS in 15 hours and 41
minutes from Southeast AZ in DM52.

...snip...

Milt, N5IA  -- Operator at N7GP

It's over--at least for me.  Still a couple hours left to run but there are
limits to my endurance!  It's daylight after all...

That's great Milt!  Worked All States is very doable on Topband.  But it
isn't "easy" as some have stated.  I missed AK again this year and booked
the other 49 states.  A bunch of sections are missing.  We need to work on
that as a group.  With 931 Qs in my log, I count 6 sections with ZERO (0) in
the log, 3 sections with only ONE (1) entry, and 10 sections with only TWO
(2) entries.  That's pretty thin in 24% of the sections! The absolute MIAs
were a shock.  AK was a given for me, which screws up the WAS thing for me.
NL and NWT are pretty thin populations.  But NNY, SDG, and PR are usually a
cake walk.  Whatsupwithat?

I'd like to gather some data about the WAS thing.  Certainly, if anybody
booked a sweep, that's major news and I want to hear about it.  But the WAS
thing is still tough to do and I'd like to hear about that too.  Several
sent me a note saying they do it every year and claim it is "easy."  Others
did it last night along with Milt.  Well, 100% of these responses are out
west, and most of those are in the deep Southwest, which must be God's
country for working all states on Topband.

Send me a private comment if you booked a WAS this year.  Or even if you
dang near did it.  I'd like to compile the list and see exactly how "easy"
it is.  Besides, I'm betting Milt uses more than a short hank of #14 wire in
a tree for an antenna too.  When you send me your comment about WAS, include
a note about QRP, LP, HP, and a VERY brief description of your equipment.
If I get a decent response, it might make a nice companion article for the
web page sidebar space.

And don't forget pictures.  I need good pics for QST.  Post a soapbox too.
It's great fun to see all the gloating.

73s and thanks for the 931 Qs!

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com