Topband: easy WAS topband?

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at verizon.net
Sun Dec 3 14:39:01 EST 2006

Can't help but hitchhike on N5IA's thread about arrl being an
easy WAS on 160.

Just back from the W2GD coastal site, former WSC marine stn.
We didn't get a sweep.  Missed AK, and two provinces.
I know KL7RA was on...we saw spots.  Never heard him, nor
were we called by him.  At one point, we had a guy doing
nothing but looking for him.

And this, in a station with 2 el NE, 2el W, plus an Ell for
the mult stn.  A 3 op setup, with two listening on the run stn,
and a separate mult operation.  And rx antennas including 1500'
beverages SW, W, NW, N/S, E, NE,  several of which are either parallel
phased arrays or stagger arrays...NOT a small installation.

So we fell 3 short of a sweep.  Doing so entailed a crew of
8 or 10 people, walking beverages and trimming antennas, and
working on the computer network and the TX lockouts, so everything hummed
and we remained legal.   And the A&K indices were reasonably low
throughtout...
although absorption to the west seemed high, to me.

W2GD can wax poetic...we did reasonably well, considering.
I would have liked to see more international involvement,
on balance, but this is a US-centric competition, and enthusiasm
abroad is...well, um, attenuated?

WAS is easy?  I don't THINK so, even if it IS US centric!
Topband is a challenge, period.

N2EA