Topband: First 160 Loop Antenna Disaster

AD5VJ Bob rtnmi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 4 00:39:24 EST 2006

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well I made my first loop antenna:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/loop/coaxloop.html

I tried this one before trying to tackle a K9AY loop because it looks easier and smaller therefore easier to handle. So I wanted to
do this before taking on the big one.

Well it is a total flop, so I am certainly not going to do the K9 yet.

The trimmer cap doesn't change anything, turning the antenna doesn't change anything and there is less noise alright, but no signals
except way in the background, volume has to be all the way up to hear anything.

I made the loop as described best I could according to the directions:
Then the coax comes to the bottom of the cross.
I bare both center conductors, making sure the shield is not shorted.
I solder the center conductors to each side of the trimmer cap.
I solder the shields together.
Loop finished.

I bare the end of the coax that is going to be the feedline.
I solder the center conductor to one side of the trimmer cap.
The shield to the shields that are tied together on the loop.
I stand the loop up on a table on my patio.
I run the coax feedline into the house to the rig.
I start tuning on my old antenna to find a strong signal.
I find a net in progress on SSB on 160.
I switch to the loop. No signal.
I adjust the trimmer cap for max noise, the trimmer cap makes no difference.
I turn the loop 360 deg by hand and it neither makes any difference.

  73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: BUR, LotW, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ(AAR6VM)
Old calls: WY5L/KH3-KE5CTY-N5IET