Topband: plasma TV RFI?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Dec 5 08:23:52 EST 2006

> Thanks, Tom. Can you recommend specific types (that is,
> construction)? Metallized poly film, etc. ?

Take your pick at this list:

http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Msb=0&Mkw=capacitor+250VAC&Ns=P_SField&Ne=1447464+254016&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards&Ntt=*capacitor*+*250VAC*&N=1323038+0

or search www.mouser.com for capacitor 250vac

Since this  a 160 meter and higher application a .01uF disc
would work,  but you have to be mindful of current that can
pass through the reactance.

All of my TV and entertainment centers have a single common
outlet strip like this one:

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=545-TLP808TELTV%09
and
http://www.tripplite.com/shared/pdf/spec/tlspec_142.pdf

The older units I use have the CATV cable shield grounded to
the center (ground) pin of the outlets. I replaced the small
telco line fuses directly with small 100uH chokes any
bypassed the line to common ground with .001 1kV discs on
the equipment side only! The power line is bypassed from hot
(small blade) to neutral (large blade, and then from neutral
to safety ground with UL/CSA/VDE line rated .01uF 250VAC
capacitors. The antenna cable feeding the center passes
through the F connectors. Everything plugs in to the outlet
strip. Speaker wires are bypassed to the neutral common at
that box.

Not only does this stop TVI and modem RFI from my radios, it
stops the TV, computer, and other gear from bothering the
radios! As a side benefit there are a dozen or more hard
strikes on my 300ft tower and have never lost a single
device, not even a modem.

73 Tom