Topband: Strange opening last night

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sat Dec 9 03:03:42 EST 2006

The band didn't sound good at all.  Ten meters was full of signals - a bad
for sure.  However, around 0400, I could hear UT3MD working W8JI.  I
figured out his signal was coming in from the southeast!  During the next
hour, I tried to work him, UR5MID and RK6LXS.  They were all pretty weak,
but as time went on, their signals improved some - and started coming in
from the north-east.

RK6LXS really peaked around his sunrise at 0450Z - and was moving the
S meter pretty well.  However, Leo couldn't copy me.

Next, it was UT3MD's turn to peak up - and did he ever.  He came right back
to my call and was in the log at 0502Z.  Now, to work UR5MID...  but before
I could find him - the band totally folded on me - and that was that.

Heard DF2PY very weakly later on - but the band had some kind of rolling
noise - probably due to the aurora.

However, working the Ukraine isn't something I do very often - so it
was neat to nab one.

Now - to bed so I can try 1500-1530 on 1832.8 for Europe.

Tree N6TR

PS: Worked the VU7 on 40 at 0100Z with 599 signal over South America.