Topband: Fiberglass Mast --- possible source

Tod-ID tod at k0to.us
Tue Dec 12 10:18:58 EST 2006

I  had the good fortune to acquire about 15 windsurfer fiberglass masts a
low cost when a manufacturer discontinued operation. The bases accommodate a
2 inch diameter aluminum tube. The mast (which is tapered) comes in two 8
foot pieces and is just about 16 feet when assembled. It is possible [since
I do it] to combine two of the masts to achieve heights of 27 feet or more.
I use such a combination as the central support for my dual K9AY loops.

The opening at the top is larger than 1 inch. The wall thickness is at least
1/8 inch.

I suspect that such mast sections may be available in other places. The
rather nice thing is that they break down to 8 foot sections which can be
shipped or transported easily. However, I would not choose to use such a
mast as the vertical support for an inverted L without using back guys.

Additional sources of large diameter fiberglass tubes are high school or
college track teams. The pole vaulters train using 2 inch diameter poles
that are not tapered and are longer than 8 feet. I was given 'discards' by
the local high school and find that one can make them longer by finding
aluminum inserts that can be epoxied into one end of the tube and which
allow another tube base to slide over them. Again, although the poles are
quite strong (but flexible), rational guying is desirable.

Tod, K0TO