Topband: Short, Fat Vertical

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 14:08:41 EST 2006

I'm pretty much restricted to a maximum height of 40' for any antenna I
install on my covenant-restricted lot.  I have thought about an inverted L,  but I
also wonder if I can achieve a greater effective height by using  a fatter
radiating element, primarily using wires that are spread apart.

I've seen antennas that use a sharp V configuration or an apex-down  triangle
to apparently achieve greater bandwidth and perhaps more electrical  height.
I would imagine that increasing the angle of the apex would  eventually
create diminishing returns, as ground losses would eventually  increase.

Also, what about multiple wires in a tall rectangle shape?  I've seen  some
references to a three wire folded element in which the center conductor is
broken and fed, and the spacing is 1 foot between wires.

Any thoughts here?  I was thinking of combining this fat vertical  element
with some type of top loading wire (either an L or a T),  that could also be fat
if that would be advantageous.  I've got a  few trees that would enable me to
hide this structure, but I can't get too  fancy.

I've also thought of a sloper, as I have a mast on the roof peak that is
about 45' at the top.  The disadvantage here is that the high voltage end  would
be close to the ground and could cause some losses.

Any thoughts are appreciated!  Paul, K5AF