Topband: Soldering ground radials

Jim Monahan K1PX at msn.com
Tue Dec 19 14:59:29 EST 2006

For over 20 years, I've soldered wires for radials and antennas outdoors
with standard 60/40 rosin core solder.

Then, I cover the connection completely with GE Silicone II Sealant which cures
in about 12 to 24 hours.

I've was told early on that the curing agent in the sealant would corrode
or damage the solder connection.

Never has this been the case even after being outdoors for years.

It cures into a rubber like condition which can be peeled off but adheres
to the connection quite well.

The solder underneath has always been bright, shiny and with no evidence of
corrosion or water/moisture intrusion.

It comes in 2.8 oz. tubes for just over $3 and, around here, it is commonly found
in hardware and home improvement centers.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX at msn.com