Topband: Loud and local antenna

oliver steiner violindevil at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 20:34:26 EST 2006

Dear Topbanders,

I would like to put up an antenna for a strong signal
in about a 1000 mile radius, rather than one for
dxing.  My preference would be for one that functions
well with few or no radials.  A half wave dipole
springs instantly to mind, but I haven't the space for
it.  What do you think of a 3/8 wire fed against a one
or two wire counterpoise?  I like the 3/8 wire idea
because it places the high current in the clear, at
about 65 feet from the feedpoint.....or do you think
an inverted U style dipole or loaded dipole would be
better?  Any suggestions for a 160 ragchew antenna on
a city lot will be gratefully received.

Many thanks and 73,
Ollie W2QXR

Oliver Steiner