Topband: Radials around the house . . .

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at surfvi.com
Wed Dec 20 12:24:25 EST 2006

Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:

>Does wrapping them around the house actually work?

Dan,

 My house is in the way of my path to North America and within 30 feet
of the tower.  Since it is not wide at this point I wrap a few radials
around my one story house.  I also was fortunate to also have a copper
water pipe system with lawn faucet nearest the tower which runs
throughout the house at foundation level to kitchen, three bathrooms
from two cisterns.  The foundation line next to the house makes an easy
way to lay down radials on each side of the house.  However I don't
think that bunching them together and then fanning them out is helpful.
If you can ring the house with a single cooper wire it is propably
better to fan out from  that wire on the other side of the house unless
you have a basement.  Then running under the house is easy right through
the basement on out the other side.

In the past topbanders used to advise tying everything into the ground
system, i.e. furnance, plumbing, well, flashing, electrical nuetral,
power and telco ground under the theory that on top band any ground is
better than no ground or the more the better.  However, in AM radio
installations this practice is always strongly shunned.  A proper RF
ground system designed for the antenna, above and apart from the AC
grounds are prefered with the general rule of never connecting to
anything which is an unknown ground especially electrical safety grounds.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ