Topband: Core Mix

Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) w5uc at suddenlink.net
Tue Dec 26 11:52:13 EST 2006

Greetings Topbanders:

When I initially started researching researching the information to
build my K9AY type array, the recommendation was to use a toroid with
#43 mix which I did.  Now as I read my new 4th edition UN4UN
Lowband DX book (Thanks SantaMama) I see that the recommended mix is
#77.  Without placing an order to Amidon I have available to me for
immediate use, various sizes toroids of #31 mix and #43 mix.  I also
have some of the small toroids( General BBR 7731) recommended in the
older version of the Beverage Antenna Handbook(Second Edition).So,
please, the questions are:

1)  Who is using what mix? What are the results with each?
2)  How much difference will a different mix REALLY make?
3)  Is it worth the effort to order new toroids with #77 mix?
4)  Does anyone know the mix in the General BBR toroids?

Many Thanks,
73,
Mike, W5UC

"age & treachery will overcome youth & skill"
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/