Topband: 160 FROM GUANTANAMO BAY CUBA

Garry Shapiro garry at ni6t.com
Thu Feb 2 23:50:41 EST 2006

I have certainly heard this many times but wasn't the first of Beverage's
antenna laid directly on the sand at a beach??

I don't think so. This is from memory...it may not be quite right.

Beverage wrote about running a 9 mile wire from N to S along the Moriches
Rd., just to the west of the confluence of Long Island's forks. Lon Island
is sandy, but that was not along the water. It was strung on the telephone
poles. There was a picture of a big Ford touring car with its entire back
seat holding an RF Ammeter set. They drove the antenna at 100 kHz at one
end, then drove along the road, periodically stopping to cut the wire to
insert the ammeter. Then they would splice the cut and go on to the next
one. This determined the current distribution in the wire.

>From these measurements, Beverage was able to experimentally determine the
optimum termination as 470 ohms, which has become a holy number. His
subordinate, Phil Carter, calculated the termination and came up with the
same number.

Garry, NI6T