Topband: FairRite Products 2873000202

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 4 13:11:55 EST 2006

W8JI wrote:
 >Normally enamel is not a problem, but at times if a single
layer of enamel is used it can be scratched through.
Actually you don't want to scratch the wire with ANY core.
The reason is pretty obvious, that bare spot might touch
another bare spot in a winding (which is worse than core
contact).

         Tom, I used #26 enamel for a few of my
earliest transformers (I use insulated wire now).
I always QA checked the impedance ratio with an
analyzer like the MFJ-259B or AEA HF-CIA with
a 470 ohm across the Beverage terminals.
Wouldn't a short show up in an incorrect SWR
sweep?  Or is it a problem over time with big
static discharges burning thru the enamel?

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV