Topband: CW Speed

charles Lewis s9ss160m at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 11:46:11 EST 2006

I agree with Charlie and Tom that, generally speaking, around 15 to 20 WPM is a good range.  Usually, when someone drops to a very slow speed it makes copy even worse for me.

  I have lost the ability to use a paddle or type on the keyboard well due to muscle spasms.  I have to resort to "canned" CW from my computer.  The program I use has very little flexibility, so on 160M where I routinely send call signs and RST's more than once, I do the best I can with a hand key.  That's the actual reason for the slow code that Ralph cited.  Otherwise, I would probably work 160M at about 20 WPM.  You don't necessarily have to match my sending speed.

  BTW - I experienced the thrill of working NA1SS on 2 meters FM yesterday afternoon with only two watts from an HT fed into an improvised hand held four element yagi.

  73,
  Charles Lewis - S9SS