Topband: k9ay

Andy Ikin andy at wellbrook.uk.com
Tue Jan 3 15:19:13 EST 2006

Dear Federico,  you wrote:

"I want to ask you how a k9ay works relatively to 1.8 MHz , as the antenna
is
a optimal solution for MW reception as stated in many literature.
Does it maintain their carachteristics of nulling, directivity, quietness
operation and so on even at higher frequencies than MW ???
Now i'm using a half-sloper and a welbrook ala1530 loop but none of them are
capable to bring out some DX stations from QRM..."

Federico, The K9AY will maintain the above characteristics to at least 2MHz.
My own experience is that the K9AY performs less well up to 4MHz; this is
probable due to unsteady arrival angles!
The new design Wellbrook K9AY will deliver approx. 12dB more gain than the
ALA1530 at the lower end of MW and TB ( K9AY Antenna Factor is approx.
+4.0dB V/m to Vout at 50 Ohms at 1.8MHz, don't ask me what this is in dBi; I
have lost the conversion formula! ). Also as the K9AY loop size is much
higher than the ALA1530, then an antenna noise level will be lower only in
very low QRN sites. The main advantage of the K9AY is the directivity, once
the antenna is adjusted for optimum F/B at the higher end of MW; then you
should have no trouble in achieving a 20dB or better F/B on TB.

73s

Andy Ikin

Wellbrook Communications