Topband: New guy here. Low noise rx antenna for 1/2 acre lot?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jan 4 08:22:40 EST 2006

luckey I can catch some noise levels that dont register on
the S meter. These readings are with the preamp on the rig
turned off. I dont really care what the strength of the
signals are with the antenna or its directivity - I just
want a QUIETER antenna! I can use the preamp to bring the
level back up. I would prefer something omni-directional so
I can hear stations equally well in all directions, and that
also makes installing it easi
>  er as
>  well - no vertical elements to phase (plus I dont have
the space for phased elements).

Steve,

If you have a K9AY you already have two vertical elements.
That's what the K9AY antenna acts like, no matter what it
physically looks like.
That means you already obviously have the space for two
vertical elements, you have already tried them, and they
just don't work in your situation.

You cannot have a "quieter antenna" without more
directivity. The antenna has to focus on the signals and not
on the noise. That is the only way an antenna will improve
S/N ratio.  There is no other way.

You can try different things and maybe get lucky, and find
an antenna that nulls your noise while not nulling the
desired signals. But like most who live in an area with
limited room you just have to try things until something
seems to work for you. You might look in the direction of a
horizontally polarized antenna, rather than a vertically
polarized antenna, and see if that works. Obviously you were
unsuccessful with a vertically polarized antenna so you
might have to try something that is horizontally polarized.

Whatever you do, try to stay away from the other wires and
towers as far as possible. Other than that, there is no such
thing as a "quiet antenna". The only way any antenna
discriminates against noise in by the antennas pattern. The
only exception is if the noise comes from within about 60
feet of the antenna on 160 meters.  In that case nearfield
impedance might change coupling.

73 Tom