Topband: New guy here

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 16:19:06 EST 2006

Well apparently I hit the jackpot for information regarding 160! I figured since this reflector was published in ON4UN's low band dxing it was a good place to go. Boy was I right!

  Well someone (or a few) were wondering if I am using a low pass filter. I have the Kenwood model.

  Heres a little more detail of the K9AY loops. The center post is 26 feet of 4x4" pressure treated lumber. The wire is 12 guage, insulated, stranded copper. The mathcing transformer is an ICE 180A (their beverage txfmr, multiple value taps). I am using a 4ft ground rod, solid copper I believe. The rest of the stuff is home brewed - switchbox and relay box. I know it works because I can hear the antenna get disconnected for a second when I switch between directions.

  Ill have to go through and check the connections between the wires for the loops. Since I know the relays are working, maybe theres a bad connection on the RF end. Or it could be my ground??

Steve, KC8QVO