Topband: Report from southwest New Mexico

Steve London n2ic at arrl.net
Wed Jan 4 18:36:05 EST 2006

It certainly has been an exciting few days on 160 from down this way.

We have now had three consecutive nights of Europe openings. The night
of Jan 2 was the best. A poor night until 0430Z, then things broke
loose.  Worked 17 EU between 0430Z and 0710Z.  I'm sure I could have
worked more if I had stuck around for another hour.  Seemed like the
opening was confined to the southwest USA - TX, OK, NM, AZ.  I had no
competition for most of the stations I called.  The next night (Jan 3)
was a very short opening - just 3 stations worked between 0411Z and
0434Z - RU6FZ/6, ON4UN and 9H1ZA. Listened until 0600Z, but the band
didn't come back. Last night (Jan 4) started out as a dud until 0430Z,
when YT0TESLA started becoming audible.  He rapidly built, but seemed to
be having receive problems (or, perhaps, a transmit capability far in
excess of his receive capability ?).  Worked 6 EU (including HB0/DL2OBO)
between 0437Z and 0528Z, when the band folded.

Started listening this morning just 30 minutes before sunrise
(SR=1415Z). By far, the best far east opening of the season. HL3IUA,
JA5BIN and JA6JPS were peaking S9+20 on the transmit antenna (with an S5
crud level). No other Asian countries heard, although there were several
BV's on 80 at that time.

With the recent improvements to the transmit antenna, this has all been
very gratifying. Some of you may remember my whining a few months ago -
a full size 1/4 wavelength vertical with 13 random-length ground-mounted
radials, and 80% of the EU I called weren't hearing me at all. I added
11 more 1/4 wavelength radials, and the difference is just astounding.
It "feels" like my transmit signal is now very well matched to my
receive capabilities (Beverages NE, SE, NW).

I'll need to break myself away from the big football game tonite and see
if we get a miracle opening to VQ9LA !

73,
Steve, N2IC/5