Topband: HB0/DL2OBO QRV from 2. - 7.January 2006

dl2obo dl2obo at hotel-hellers-krug.de
Wed Jan 11 06:20:09 EST 2006

Hi Bill, you asked me for a summary, hope that "story" is ok for you and
maybe you want to forward it if needed.

I called Mrs. Beck the owner of the Chalet Barsüla on 30.Dec. and asked if
there is any chance to rent the house in January. She answered that she is
booked already and there is no availability. Next day (31st) she called me
and explained that the familiy for for next week called and they can't
travel. It took me 2 seconds to say, yes, we will book that week. We, that
is my girl friend Melanie and her daughter Janice (7yrs)

QTH was the "Chalet Barsüla"
http://www.tourismus.li/unterkunft_detail.asp?n_AccomodationID=286&typ=9&id=36&lg=2
I was here last time in October 2005.  It is a small cottage at 1200m a.s.l.
There are three other houses a few hundret meters away. It is very quiet and
remote. The next shops are in Triesenberg, a small village, down the hill.
The Chalet Barsüla has room for 6 persons and is equipped with TV and
telephone. There is an oven so I needed a quick QRX every 30m to put pieces
of wood into and have it warm in the house. There is also a electric heating
but when you see the scenere you will have the real feeling  and use wood !
Cooking was also done on that wood oven. The property is very large and one
can set antennas everywhere  wanted. You have a clear view (takeoff) from
180 to 340 degrees. The terrain is 45degrees falling to west (800m) and
rising to east.(500m).  The country HB0 is oriented in a valley
(north/south) on the eastern side of the river "Rhein".Only on the mountain
top (cable car) restaurant "Sareiser Joch" you will have a nice view to ALL
directions.

We arrived on Monday 2.01.2006 late afternoon . Wx:  a lot of snow.
I  needed to put snowchains on for the last 500m to the house. Because of
the heavy load (ham equip) there was no space in the wheel houses. I used a
car-jack to lift it. Now I was able to remove the snow from the wheel house.
Just when I put the chains around the wheels, the car jack collapsed and the
car body sank.My arms were clamped between tire and wheel house.I managed to
pull out my left arm but needed some help from Melanie to lift the car to
pull out my right arm. Later they turned blue and green and it was painfull.
But thanks god they were not broken.  No QRV without arms,hi.
Monday evening I only installed a 40m vertical with 4 elevated radials and
did some DX on that band. It was too late and dark for other antennas.
I was operating until  09:00 local time, had breakfast and went sleeping
until lunch. After lunch I did some antenna work in the 1m high snow. Cold
feet included. That was my dailyroutine for this holiday.

On Tuesday I build a telesopic tower to support a nearly vertical errectd
delta loop with 160m circumfence. Again: the hills are very steep, at least
45 and I could use the terrain height and the mast to have the apex about
27m over the bottom wire. Sure, it was still close to the slope but I was at
1200m a.s.l and a free view to WEST. nothing between me and the bottom of
the valley which is at least 800m lower than my operating QTH. So the second
night I had a 40m GP and a ladderline fed Delta Loop set up.

On Wednesday I build that 80m W8JK beaming to West. I think there were
excellent condx also and so it was easy to work the Westcoast of USA.
The western dipole was about 12m above ground, the eastern dipole was 10m
above the ground with the slope(mountain) in the back another 20m or so
It took me 4 hours while working the last hour into dark. Remember: 1m
snow. I had frozen feet after all and took a long warm shower to feel
something again,hi. ( and yes, I had the correct cloth and shoes).
climbing the slope/hill was really exhausting. Everyday I was in the snow
for several hours building antennas. Again: the nice comments kept me going
and going,hi.

On Thursday we went down the hill by sled to reach the main road and later a
busstop. We took the bus to Malbun (1600m asl )and  went up the hill by
cable car to the "Sareiser Joch" (2000m a.s.l.) . This is maybe the best
place in HB0 to operate because of it's location. Clear view  full 360
degrees. Today was a lot of snow and high wind. Billions of skiers were
enjoying this sunny day (-15C tophill).

On Friday I replaced the 80m W8JK with a 160m (fullsize) version. It took me
4 hours in the snow, climbing up the hill. and sliding down on the ......

On Saturday evening I called my QRL  and they said I may stay a night
longer, my presence was not needed. So : one additional night, one
additional chance for DX !

Sunday night was my last night. From my phone calls to DJ2YA and DF3KV I
knew that there were request from JA to have a special look for them.  I was
really happy when I put JA5DQH in the log during the last night. (On 80m
7J4AAL was the only JA I worked.

I was always running between 500-800watts. The relay of the PA was somehow
broken after a few days operating ( was doing Ok on the last trip in
October). It did not release(open) properly sometimes. Then I had to hit the
relay with a pencil or something similar. Then it worked again. Sometimes
for minutes sometimes only for two times transmitting. I called HB9CVQ and
he was in Stuttgart/Germany at that time. He usually lives in HB9. He went
into town and bought a new relay and came to me on his way home to HB9. He
installed the new relay and went back home to HB9 (4 hours detoured). We
first thought it was all OK  after exchanging the relay but next morning the
same error showed up again. At least I had the chance to operate 9 hours
with a propper working relay,hi. Yet we don't know what it is. For me it was
no chance to buy a relay in HB0. I don't think that they sell any in whole
HB0. Not sure. So imagine, if HB9CVQ did not show up and the old relays gave
up working completeley on Saturday night ?  I think with 100w no way
HB0-W-JA on 160m,hi. Thanks again to Andy HB9CVQ.
.
Topnband: It seems to me, that the openings were extremely short and one
could follow the spot on a map moving from one place to the next. And if the
QSO wasn't done in a minute there was no way to get it complete into later.
Just my idea, maybe I am totally wrong.

I am not sure, others may modell it on the computer if the delta loop or the
W8JK was better. On 80m I am sure the W8JK was a killer. The 160m version
maybe wasn't worth the work. For the next trip I will try a toploaded
vertical (20m mast)  with elevated radials on a plateau . That is maybe also
better for JA.
The 160m W8JK was headed pretty much NorthWest so not too bad for JA while
beeing good for W/VE.

The K9AY I had with me was damaged (my fault) and was not usable. I hope my
RX wasn't too bad and I have worked everyone with more than 500w TX power.
An overhead phoneline and also sometimes QRN in the alps were noisy.

The greatest problem on 160m was to find a clear QRG, keeping it clear and
keeping the QSX frequency clear of loud EU's while looking for DX. Some came
so close while working simplex,I wonder what filters they use and wish I
would own those. I have to "pimp" my 1000MP for the next trip.

While sometimes I was calling for 15min and no one answered. DJ2YA told me,
I was spotted by N1 with "loud"  but still no one answered. Did I work
everybody ? Not even EUs were calling in. I made QSY back on 80m to have
some QSO preventing me from falling asleep  and crashing with my forehead
on the keyboard. (happend monday morning anyway)

I worked the following in far-east on 160m:

JA2PJC
JF7DZA
JH0BBE
JA5DQH
JH4UYB
JH2FXK
UA9YAB
HL3IUA

Again: the terrain is NOT GOOD for ASIA. High mountains to east. ! You guys
really did a good job !!!

SA:  YV1DIG, YV5AM, YV5MH and KP2A, NP4A

NA:  204 with USA       17 with VE

not a complete list ! states as shown by LOGic7  logprogramm

examples:
AA0RS CO
K0HP SD
W0RI NA0Y NI0F K0JPL MO
K5CM OK
K5DU K5LC K5NA K5PA K5PC    TX
K5ZK  MS
N7JW  K7CA UT
N5GH  MS
W0CE  W0EK   MN
W5ZN
again, just a sample list, not a total QSO list.
when you are from 6 area and you think  I forgot you please send an
email. Maybe a typo in the 160m log...

I worked 31 states on 160m     and 44 states on 80m.

It gives me goose pmples / the creep (not sure which is correct)  when I
review my log.

and also:  without YOUR 4-squares and phased arrays, beverages, K9AYs  and
what else have you :         this wasn't possible !

Again, without all the nice comments and thankfull words I would never have
been able to stay up on the radio all night long..... I was never QRT before
09:00 local time....

I was thinking of you when I was outside in the snow (1m / 3ft ) having
frozen feet. Building antennas and looking for another 0,2db to be better
heard on DX side.....

I got hundrets of emails. One among is from DJ2MX. His group has booked
Chalet Barsüla for the CQWW160m CW. I hope the picture CD I sent him will
help somehow. Look out for them around that weekend !

Please go to www.hosenose.com/dl2obo do a logcheck there before
sending QSLs direct or if you think I copied your call wrong. Logcheck
function available in a few days. If it doesn't work now, it is too early.
Not ready yet. Try again later. Ask me if any questions, not them. I think
it is a great service.

I will label all QSLs end of January and put them into the bureau system.
(tnx Dennis at hosenose.com for assistance.) That means: If I have your call
wrong in the log, you will not get your card. Please use the logcheck option
to see if I did it all ok. Email me if not. I do not "check" incoming cards
for the data's  but I really enjoy have real paper cards and see what they
look like. I find QSL cards as interesting as a QSO. If they are nicely
made, they can tell a lot. Nothing against LotW. That is the best thing
invented recently next to a K9AY but I am a little old fashioned with that.
I will upload LotW later of course.
(if you need it direct, please include postage: new fee since 2006 is 1,70
Euro = 2,06 $ , sending   1 IRC is maybe the cheapest for you )

thanks for reading and 73

Tom DL2OBO

Today  (10.01.06)  I answered the first 50! direct QSLs. They are in the
mail already.  Powered by LOGic7

more infos on HB0 are at www.tourismus.li  and www.liechtenstein.li  .The
official HB0 websites.   look there for   "Barsüla"  "Barsuela"  or
"Sareiser Joch"
you may email me if you need infos for your own trip to HB0.