Topband: Discharging static

Jim Kearman jkearman at att.net
Thu Jan 12 14:58:50 EST 2006

From: "jon jones" <n0jk at hotmail.com>

>I sometimes get a static shock from the 1/4 wave
> wire vertical on dry cold nights.

I'm contemplating a balloon-supported vertical where the base will be ~1/4 wave above ground. I plan to use two symmetrical 1/4-wave horizontal radials. The vertical element will be supported above them. The convenience of being able to feed this antenna directly with coax is attractive, but how to discharge static build-up? An amp has an rf choke across the output terminal, but that's usually out of the circuit on receive. Is one of those old pi-wound 2.5 mH 750-mA chokes, connected across the feed point, sufficient?

73,

Jim, KR1S